Cikkek

Michigani Állami Egyetem

Michigani Állami Egyetem


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

A történelmi Michigan Állami Egyetem campus a Cedar folyó partján, Kelet -Lansingban található - Lansing állam fővárosa, Michigan közelében. Jelenleg az MSU -nak több mint 45 000 hallgatója van. A Michigani Állami Egyetemet a Michigan törvényhozása hozta létre a Michigan állam Mezőgazdasági Főiskolájaként. Az egyetem 1964 -ben vette fel jelenlegi nevét. A Bachelor, mester és doktori programokat a Michigan State University főiskoláin keresztül kínálják. Az MSU külföldi tanulmányi programját az ország legnagyobbnak tartják; több mint 190 programot kínál több mint 60 országban az összes kontinensen, beleértve az Antarktiszt is. Az MSU magas minősítéssel rendelkezik, mint kutatási és fejlesztési központ Michiganben. Az MSU-t a ciszplatin-rákellenes gyógyszer-kifejlesztésével és a tej homogenizálásának technikájával is jóváírják. A Michigan State University hallgatói az Egyesült Államok mind az 50 államát képviselik. Lakó hallgatóit a ország, amely 23 egyetemi csarnokból, egy posztgraduális csarnokból és három lakófaluból áll. Az akadémikusok mellett a Michigan State University tantervében is kellő figyelmet fordít a kikapcsolódásra és a sportra. Az MSU -n a diákokat a különböző szervezeteken keresztül arra ösztönzik, hogy vegyenek részt a főiskola szerkezetében és azon túl a társadalmi és politikai cselekvésben és a közösségi szolgálatban.


Az Unió története

Az MSU Unió története 1905 -re nyúlik vissza, amikor a Michigani Állami Egyetemet Michigani Mezőgazdasági Főiskolának (MAC) nevezték, és hallgatói létszáma mindössze 351 hallgató volt. Az 1880 -as évek óta az egyetemi szakszervezetek szaporodtak szerte az országban, és a MAC nagy érdeklődést mutatott egy olyan központ felépítése iránt, ahol a diákok összegyűlhetnek. Az unió megtervezésére bizottság alakult, de finanszírozás nélkül a projekt csak beszéd volt. Hosszú, nehéz út volt, mire elképzeléseik valóra váltak.

Tíz évvel később az 1915 -ös MAC osztály 5 dolláros hozzájárulást ígért minden hallgatótól. A csekély összeg 5 dollár 1915 -ben a mai dollárban körülbelül 117 dollárt ért. Nagyon sokat jelentett számukra, a diákok hajlandóak voltak hozzájárulni egy olyan szakszervezethez, amelyet nem is használnának fel.

Az első világháború közbeszólt, és a szakszervezeti erőfeszítések megálltak. A háború után a tervek újraindultak, és a tervezők az ország szolgálatában elhunyt amerikai katonák tiszteletére az Emlékunióra változtatták a nevet. A MAC Alumni Association felbérelte a chicagói Pond and Pond építészirodát, hogy készítsen terveket az Unió számára, amelynek becsült költsége 650 000 dollár (csak körülbelül 15 200 000,00 dollár volt 2013 -ban).

Régimódi spártai szellem
1923 júniusára az Öregdiák Egyesület előrelépett az úttörő ünnepségen, de nem tudta folytatni a szükséges források nélkül. 1923 -ban azonban az emberek azt hitték, hogy felhajtják az ingujjukat, belevágnak és maguk csinálják a dolgokat. Nem volt olyan messze a pajtaemelés napjaitól, amikor az emberek ingyenesen segítettek szomszédaiknak.
Robert J. McCarthy, az Öregdiák Szövetség titkára 1923. november 19–24 -én szervezte meg az „Ásatások hetét”, a férfi hallgatókat, oktatókat és önkénteseket pedig 30 fős csapatokba szervezték, hogy ássák az Memorial Union Building alapjait. Kemény munka volt, de jó sportot űztek, és élvezték, hogy profikkal versenyeznek minden nap a díjakért. Felmentették őket az osztályból, és 4 órás műszakban osztották be őket a munkába, miközben a Varsity zenekar játszott, a diáklányok pedig frissítőt szolgáltak fel. (A mai nők is csatlakoztak volna, és lapátot is ragadtak volna?)

Az „Ásatások Hete” egyedülálló esemény és hatalmas siker volt-országos figyelmet kapott, ami hozzájárult ahhoz, hogy a hozzájárulások ismét beinduljanak. Ám amikor az építkezés elakadt a pénzhiány miatt, a michigani akkori kormányzó, Alex J. Groesbeck, a MAC erős támogatója azt javasolta, hogy gyűjtsenek pénzt 300 ezer dollár értékű kötvényen keresztül, amelyet az Alumni Egyesület bocsátott ki a projekt befejezésére.

Végül a MAC Emlékunió 1925. június 12 -én nyílt meg. A Pond testvérek skolasztikus gótikus építészeti stílust alkalmaztak, és sok művészt béreltek fel az épületet kívül -belül díszítő festmények és szobrok megalkotására. Az összes kandallót Pewabic csempe borította. Az Unió déli bejárata fölött Samuel A. Cashwan domborműveket faragott Prometheus -ból, a görög istenről, akiről azt hitték, hogy tüzet és a civilizáció művészetét hozza az emberiségnek.

Az új épületben volt egy 955 férőhelyes második emeleti, kétszintes nézőtér étkezésre, táncra és találkozókra. A második és a harmadik emeleten 16 privát vendégszoba volt az öregdiákoknak és a barátoknak, egy fodrászüzlet, egy könyvesbolt, egy szépségszalon, egy nagy, központi konyha, valamint az Alumni Egyesület irodái. Az Unió az egyetemi élet központja lett, és folyamatosan ugrált. Valamit létrehozott a 2200 diák osztályának, ami még soha nem létezett az egyetemen, és feldobta az egyetemi élményt.

Az Uniónak férfi és női társalgója, 11 étkezője, három évszakos társalgója, dohányzószobája és biliárdterme is csak a diákok számára készült. Számos egyetemi publikáció, mint pl Vörös cédrusnapló és Az Állami Hírek megnyitották irodáikat az Unióban.

Az Unió az évtizedek során
Az Unió 1925 -ös megnyitása óta számos kiegészítésen és felújításon ment keresztül. 1936 -ban az egyetem átvette az Unió tulajdonjogát és irányítását az Alumni Egyesülettől, a kötvénytörlesztés mulasztása miatt (kétségtelen, hogy a nagy gazdasági világválságnak ehhez köze volt) az 1940 -es évek végén, a déli szárny hozzáadásával jelentős bővítések és felújítások a 3 millió dollár értékben (2013-ban több mint 28.500.000 dollár)-egy rekreációs terület bowlinggal és biliárddal, ping-pong terem 12 asztallal, művészeti és zenei szobák, böngészőterem újságokkal és magazinokkal, étkező- és konferenciaterem, valamint tantermek, utazási iroda, jegyiroda és az új Union Grill, ahol ma az ételudvar található.

1955 -ben, amikor az egyetem hivatalosan megváltoztatta a nevét Michigani Állami Mezőgazdasági és Alkalmazott Tudományi Egyetemre, az épület MSU Unió néven vált ismertté. Mozgássérültek számára hozzáférhető rámpát adtak hozzá. A vendégszobákat átalakították, és más funkciók az Unióba költöztek. Ahogy a diákok az évek során változatosabbá váltak, megváltoztak igényeik és vágyaik, és az Unió is.

Az Unió mindig is otthont adott a diákoknak, és továbbra is ugyanazokat a szolgáltatásokat kínálja, mint 1925 -ben: bőséges tanulmányi teret, étkezési lehetőségeket, tárgyalókat, vásárlást, szórakoztató eseményeket, diákszervezeti irodákat és még sok mást.


Történelem

A Jogi Főiskola története 1891 -ig nyúlik vissza, amikor a Detroiti Jogi Főiskolát Detroit lakosainak kiszolgálására hozták létre. A Jogi Főiskola megalapítása előtt az egyetlen módja annak, hogy egy detroiti lakos a bár tagja lehessen anélkül, hogy elhagyná a várost tanulni, az volt, hogy “olvasott ” törvényt a helyi ügyvédekben és#8217 irodákban. A Jogi Főiskola alapítói a Michigan délkeleti részén található ilyen “ olvasók és törvénytisztviselők és diákok csoportja voltak. Ennek eredményeként az iskola történelmének első két évében az igazgatói maguk is diákok voltak, és egyedülálló helyzetben voltak.

A 69 diplomás első osztályba tartozott egy leendő körzeti bírósági bíró és egy leendő nagykövet. Egy nő az első osztályban és egy afroamerikai a másodikban példázta a Jogi Főiskola elkötelezettségét, miszerint a lakosság minden rétegének lehetőséget kínál a minőségi jogi oktatásra.

1995-ben a Jogi Főiskola csatlakozott a Michigan Állami Egyetemhez, ezáltal a hallgatók számára rengeteg erőforráshoz és lehetőséghez jutottak, miközben megőrizték az iskola diákközpontú kultúráját. Az évek során a társulási kapcsolat fokozatosan szorosabbra fűződött, mígnem az MSU és az MSU Law vezetése 2018 októberében elkötelezte magát. 2020. augusztus 17 -től az MSU Jogi Főiskola teljes mértékben integrálódott az egyetembe, és az MSU alkotó főiskolájaként létezik. .

A Michigani Állami Egyetem Jogi Főiskolája megőrizte a hozzáférés és a lehetőség, a munkamorál és a szakmába való belemerülés történelmi DCL értékeit, miközben felkarolta a Big Ten egyetem részeként rejlő lehetőségeket.


A Michigani Állami Egyetem története

George Romney, Michigan állam kormányzója arra ösztönzi az egyetemistákat, hogy dolgozzanak ki önkéntes programokat az ifjúság számára az iskolák előtti bűnözésben és válságbeavatkozásban.

A Michigani Állami Egyetem hallgatói az Oktatási Főiskola oktatói és mások támogatásával kezdeményezik a Hallgatói Oktatási Testületet. A szolgáltatási projektek elsősorban rövid távú önkéntes lehetőségeket foglalnak magukban. A kezdeményezés reagál Romney kormányzó szervizhívására.

A Diákoktatási Testület folytatódik és növekszik. A hadtest megléte és munkája az akkori hallgatói aktivizmusra utal, válaszul a nemzeti polgárjogi mozgalomra, a "háború a szegénységre", valamint a vietnami fegyveres konfliktus iránti növekvő tudatosságra, azaz a diákok úgy gondolják, hogy képesek változtatni "otthon", és láthat néhány eredményt. Az elsődlegesen a diákok által kezdeményezett Hallgatói Oktatási Oktatási Projekt (STEP) a Mississippi-i Rust College-val, 1965-1968 nyarán lehetőséget adott az aktivista diákoknak, hogy Michiganen kívül végezzenek szolgálatot.

Az MSU kuratóriuma jóváhagyja az Önkéntes Programok Hivatalát. A Diákoktatási Testület önkéntes irodává válik, és felelős a diákok által vezetett, rövid távú szolgáltatási kezdeményezésekért. A névváltoztatás tükrözi mind a kísérő önkéntes programok iroda létrehozását, amelyben az egyetemi adminisztrátorok folytonosságot biztosítanak mind az MSU szolgáltatási erőfeszítései, mind a közösséggel való kapcsolatok kialakítása és fenntartása terén, pl. "Intézményi memória" fejlesztése és fenntartása és a közösség alkotói iránti hosszú távú elkötelezettség.

Az Önkéntes Programok Hivatalát az MSU kuratóriuma 1967. november 22 -én hagyta jóvá. Az iroda körébe tartozó feladatok a következők voltak:

  1. Az önkéntes programok összehangolása az egyetem általános egyetemi programjával
  2. ÖNKÉNTES PROGRAMOK KOORDINÁCIÓJA AZ EGYSÉGEKKEL A HALLGATÓI ÜGYVÉDBEN
  3. DOLGOZNI AZ EGYETEM KARÁVAL ÉS SZEMÉLYZETÉVEL
  4. FELVÉTEL AZ EGYETEM FORRÁSAIVAL AZ ÖNKÉNTES PROGRAMOK HASZNÁLATÁHOZ
  5. A KOLLÉGIA ÖNKÉNTES FELVÉTELÉRE VONATKOZÓ TERÜLETEK MEGHATÁROZÁSA ÉS AZONOSÍTÁSA
  6. AZ EGYETEM KÉPVISELÉSE A KÖZÖSSÉGNEK
  7. A KÖZÖSSÉGI SZOLGÁLTATÁSOK TANULÓI SZERINTES TAPASZTALATAINAK BIZTOSÍTÁSA
  8. A TANULÓI ÖNKÉNTES PROGRAMOK KOORDINÁCIÓJA ÉS TANÁCSADÁSA
  9. KÖLTSÉGVETÉSI ADMINISZTRÁTORNAK
  10. PRIVÁT FORRÁSOKBÓL SZÁRMAZÓ PÉNZÜGYEK KEZELÉSÉRE
  11. AZ OKTATÁSI ÉS KUTATÁSI PROGRAMOK KOORDINÁCIÓJÁHOZ.

Az MSU Városi Ügyek az Önkéntes Programok Irodájának első igazgatójaként és igazgatóhelyetteseként (aki az Önkéntes Iroda igazgatójaként is tevékenykedett) a Városügyekből nevezték ki. Mivel a Városi Ügyek hagyományosan együtt dolgoznak a Lansing közösséggel és a közösséggel is, ennek az osztálynak a felhasználásával hangsúlyozta az MSU elkötelezettségét a "közösségi hang" tiszteletben tartása és bevonása mellett.

1968. január 2 .: Hivatalosan megnyílt az Önkéntes Programok Irodája. Az egyetem irodahelyiséget biztosított a Hallgatói Szolgáltatások épületének alagsorában/"alapszintjén".

A National Corporation for Volunteer Service országos elismerést ad az "MSU Volunteers of 1971" (1978 önkéntesei) számára.

Az Önkéntes Programok Irodája és az Önkéntes Iroda szolgáltatás-tanulási központtá válik. Az MSU úttörője volt a nemzeti szolgáltatástanulási mozgalomnak (Eyler, J Giles D., A szolgáltatás-tanulás úttörői), és az önkéntes szolgálatot úgy tekintette, mint célirányos, tervezett és kölcsönös hozzájárulást a közösséghez és a közjóhoz, nem pedig egyszerűen "önkéntesség". Az MSU véleménye a szolgáltatás-tanulásról magában foglalja (és továbbra is tartalmazza) a szándékos tantervi és a tantervi szolgáltatást.

Megjegyzés: Az MSU 1960-as és 1970-es években tapasztalt növekedése miatt a Hallgatói Ügyek Irodájának szerepe és felelőssége, amelyhez az Önkéntes Programok Hivatala/Szolgáltatás-tanulási Központ közigazgatásilag beszámolt, szintén kibővült és fejlődött ezekben az időszakokban. évtizedeket. Végül a Hallgatói Ügyek Irodája lett a Hallgatói Ügyek és Szolgáltatások Osztálya. A Szolgáltató-tanulási Központ eredetileg a diákügyek dékánjának számolt be. A Hallgatói Ügyek és Szolgáltatások Osztályának megnevezésével, valamint a megfelelő egyetemi alelnökkel, aki az 1980-as évek elején az állami költségvetés csökkentése miatt végrehajtott kiterjedt egyetemi tanszéki és egység-átigazítást, valamint a jelentéstételi sorokat nevezi meg of Service-Learning Center of Student Life, a Hallgatói Ügyek és Szolgáltatások Osztályának egysége alá került.

Az MSU fontos szerepet játszik a Michigan Campus Compact, http://www.micampuscompact.org, a Campus Compact "& quot. A Michigan Campus Compact (MCC) egyike volt az első állami megállapodásoknak. Az Ügyfélközpont az MSU-n keresztül működött az 1990-es évek végéig, amikor a Michigan Nonprofit Association és a "Connect Michigan Alliance" tagja lett.

Az MSU hallgatói, akik az 1980 -as évek közepének/végének "én generációjára" reagálva igyekeznek újjáéleszteni a diákok aktivizmusát és cselekvését, létrehozzák az MSU Campus Outreach and Opportunity League -t (COOL). Az MSU Alternative Spring Break programja a COOL eredménye, ahogy az "Into the Streets" is.

Az MSU COOL elindítja az MSU és a nemzeti "Az utcákba" szolgáltatási napot. Az "Into the Streets" folytatódik az MSU éves őszi eseményeként, és kibővült az MSU "Martin Luther King Service Day" -jével.

A Service-Learning Center jelentési sora a hallgatói életről a karrier szolgáltatásokra és az elhelyezésre változik.

Mary Edens, a Service-Learning Centre régóta igazgatója nyugdíjba vonulása után az igazgatói posztot átdolgozzák, hogy kettős jelentési sort tartalmazzon a Karrier szolgáltatások és elhelyezés felé, a diákügyekért és szolgáltatásokért felelős alelnök, valamint a segédprépost alatt az egyetemi tájékoztatás számára (az Outreachen keresztül történő jelentéstétel kiegészítésként.) Az új igazgató felelős a Fiatal Spartan Programért és az MSU America Reads/America Countsért (az Outreach Partnership keretében), kiterjeszti az igazgató szerepét és kiterjeszti a szolgáltatás-tanulás. & mdash Noha a tanfolyamokhoz kapcsolódik, az egyetemi szolgáltatás-tanulás része volt a Service-Learning Center feladatainak, megújult és összpontosított erőfeszítések kezdődnek a tudományos szolgáltatás-tanulásra. Az egyetemi kirendeltséggel való együttműködés segíti az MSU szolgáltatástanulását abban, hogy visszatérjen a „gyökereihez” abban, hogy az oktatást, a kutatást és a szolgáltatást átfogó ösztöndíjnak tekintik az oktatást, az akadémiai szolgáltatás-tanulás pedig erős kapcsolatot teremt az egyetemi tanulás és a közösség között.

A Campus Compact a Pew Charitable Trust-szal együttműködésben nemzeti szinten arra ösztönzi a főiskolákat és egyetemeket, hogy látogassanak el újra a szolgáltatás-tanulás, a társadalmi és polgári felelősségvállalás oktatásának alapelveire. Megjelennek azok a nemzeti erőfeszítések is, amelyek arra irányulnak, hogy a főiskolák és egyetemek hallgassák a "közösségi hangot", hogy a szolgáltatási kezdeményezések célirányosak és kölcsönösek legyenek, és arra késztetik az MSU-t, hogy látogassa meg újra a szolgáltatás-tanulás módját. Nagyobb hangsúlyt fektetnek a szolgálatra, mint tartalmas, aktív közösségi alapú tanulásra, az állampolgári felelősségvállalás építésére, és arra, hogy segítsék a diákokat a mások iránti törődés érzésének kialakításában.

Hiram Fitzgeraldot kinevezik az egyetemi tájékoztatás segítő prépostjává, és létrehoz egy új egységet az Outreach-ban, Civic Engagement néven, amely tükrözi a hallgatói szolgáltatás és a szolgáltatás-tanulás nemzeti tendenciáit, valamint az Egyetemi Outreach filozófiáit. UOE)). A Service-Learning Center (SLC), a Young Spartan Program és az MSU America Reads igazgatója az UOE-Civic Engagement (CE) igazgatója. Az SLC párhuzamosan működik a CE -vel, és néhány funkció átfedésben van. Elsősorban azonban az adminisztráció külön marad, de ugyanazzal az igazgatóval.

A hallgatói ügyekért és szolgáltatásokért felelős alelnök eltávolítja az SLC -t a karrier szolgáltatások és elhelyezés adminisztrációjából, ezzel egybeesik a CE saját egységként való megnevezésével az UOE keretében. Az SLC közvetlenül a diákügyekért és szolgáltatásokért felelős alelnöknek tartozik jelentésben. Az SLC és a CE munkája egyre jobban összefonódik, miután megszűnik a közvetlen kapcsolat a karrier szolgáltatásokkal, és átfogóbb eredmények, beleértve a tudományos kapcsolatokat, a vezetői fejlődést, a folyamatos törődést másokkal, a társadalmi igazságossághoz kapcsolódó oktatást és a polgári felelősség és elkötelezettség, ez a szándék.

Az SLC és a CE közötti összefüggések tükrözése érdekében a két egység a közös címet kapja: Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement (CSLCE). A CSLCE felelős a tantervi és akadémiai szolgáltatás-tanulásért és az állampolgári elkötelezettségért, a karok támogatásáért a diákok bevonásával nyújtott szolgáltatás-tanulási és közösségi elköteleződési lehetőségekért, a közös tantervi szolgáltatási kezdeményezésekért, a Fiatal Spartan Programért, az MSU America Reads/America Counts kezdeményezésekért és a & quot; tisztítóház & quot; azoknak a hallgatóknak és oktatóknak, akik szolgáltatást keresnek, és a közösségi nonprofit szervezeteknek, akik segítséget kérnek a diákoktól.

Az MSU ad otthont az 5. éves nemzetközi K-H szolgáltatás-tanulási kutatási konferenciának. A CSLCE adminisztratív csapatának három tagja kiadta a megfelelő könyvet: "A tudás fejlesztése a szolgáltatás-tanulásban, kutatás a mező átalakítására".

Az iskolabezárások és a Lansing School kerületben a tantervek fejlesztésével és a tanárok szakmai fejlesztésével kapcsolatos prioritások változása miatt a Fiatal Spartan Program diszkrét partnerségként véget ért. Folytatódott a CSLCE elkötelezettsége, hogy szolgáltatást tanuló diákokat biztosítson a Lansing School District iskoláknak.

Az Ázsiai Indiai Alapítvány az Alulmaradt Gyermekek Oktatásáért Alapítványt azért hozták létre, hogy kezdetben támogassa a CSLCE munkáját a Lansing Fiúk és Lányok Klubja oktatási programjaival. A Nagy-Lansing Ázsiai Indiai Közösség tagjai kezdeményezték ezt a törekvést. A támogatás folytatódik.

Az MSU STEP 1965-68 közötti önkénteseinek hozzájárulásának és az MSU szolgáltatásaiból származó hallgatók másoknak elért eredményeinek elismerése érdekében STEP találkozóra került sor az egyetem Martin Luther King Jr. ünnepi tevékenysége során.

Az MSU szolgáltatás-tanulás növekedése érezhető volt azóta, hogy megalakult a CSLCE, mint önálló, "önálló" egység, amely az egyetemi tájékoztatásért és elkötelezettségért felelős asszisztens és a hallgatói ügyekért és szolgáltatásokért felelős alelnök által közösen jelentést készít.

2006-2007-ben 13 825 hallgatói jelentkezés/regisztráció érkezett a CSLCE-n keresztül.

A CSLCE 40. évfordulója alkalmából.

2008-2009-ben a CSLCE megkapta az elnöki díjat.

16 114 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

17 892 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

18 899 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

20 739 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

20 781 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

26 127 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

27 475 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

32 223 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén

32 241 hallgatói közösség elkötelezett tanulási és/vagy közösségi szolgáltatási regisztrációját jelentették az egyetem egész területén


Történelem

A nukleáris fizika kutatása a Michigan Állami Egyetemen (MSU) kezdődött 1958. Az ezt követő évtizedekben az MSU ismertté vált a nukleáris tudományban elért innovációiról és a kapcsolódó tudományközi kutatásokról, mind az Egyesült Államokban, mind világszerte. A fiatal Oak Ridge fizikust, Henry Blosser -t választották a labor első igazgatójának. Az MSU elnyerhette a Nemzeti Tudományos Alapítvány (NSF) támogatását az első 40 MeV -os ciklotron megépítéséhez 1961. Négy évvel később az első sugár felgyorsult. Mivel a készülék felülmúlta a tervezést és 50 MeV-os sugárzást biztosított, K-50-nek nevezték el. Az új gyorsítóval együtt egy épületet emeltek a laboratórium és az azon dolgozók elhelyezésére. (folytatás alább).

In 1973, a tudósok ötlete az volt, hogy szupravezető technológiát használnak egy erősebb, de kisebb gyorsító létrehozásához. A részletek részletezése után korán aláírták az MSU és az Energiaügyi Minisztérium közötti szerződést 1980, megkezdődött a munka egy második szupravezető ciklotronon, és megszületett a National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory (korábbi nevén MSU/NSF Heavy Ion Laboratory), és#8212.

A K-500-at és a világ első szupravezető ciklotronját#8212 15:00 órakor dobták piacra. november 21 -én, szombaton, 1981 és augusztusban kivonták az első részecskegerendát 1982, mindössze öt évvel azután, hogy a csapat megkapta a lehetőséget.

Két évvel később ben 1984, a második ciklotron szupravezető mágnesét sikeresen tesztelték. A két ciklotron összekapcsolásának eredeti tervét azonban felülvizsgálták, hogy a második ciklotron önállóan működjön, legalábbis rövid távon. Az új terv sikeres volt, és a K-800 korán online volt 1988 és kiváló fókuszáló ereje miatt egy évvel később átnevezték a K-1200-at.

A ciklotronokat július 2 -án leállították. 1999 hogy megkezdődhessen a munka a kapcsolórendszeren. Október 1 -ig, 2000, a laboratórium sikeresen előállította első ionnyalábját az új létesítményből. Az új létesítmény ereje lehetővé tette a laboratórium számára, hogy új izotópokat fedezzen fel, amelyek közül néhány csak olyan csillagászati ​​jelenségekben található meg, mint a szupernóva és a neutroncsillagok. Az asztrofizikában szerzett új tapasztalatai miatt az NSCL csatlakozott a Notre Dame ’s Nuclear Structure Laboratory -hoz és a Chicagói Egyetemhez, hogy létrehozza a Joint Institute for Nuclear Physics (JINA) -t 2003.

Ban ben 2004, Az MSU erőfeszítéseket tett a ritka izotópnyalábok új létesítményének (FRIB) befogadására. Az egész MSU közösség sok kemény munkája és odaadása után december 11 -én 2008 A DOE bejelentette, hogy a FRIB -t az MSU fogja üzemeltetni. A tényleges építkezés márciusban kezdődött 2014 földtöréssel, és októberben megkezdődött a műszaki építkezés. A munka ma is folytatódik a várva várt FRIB projekten, amely a tervek szerint ebben az évben fog működni 2022.


Ról ről

Üdvözöljük a „Digitális kor története” című részben! Ezen a kurzuson feltárjuk kortárs digitális technológiáink tizenkilencedik századi gyökereit, valamint azok fejlődésének társadalmi és kulturális összefüggéseit az elmúlt másfél évszázadban. Az előadás, a vita, az írás és a gyakorlati tevékenységek során nemcsak a korai számítástechnikai gépek fontos feltalálóit ismerjük meg, hanem másokat is, akik a termelés, a támogatás és a ezen technológiák megváltoztatása.

Semmilyen tudományos vagy technológiai változás nem történik a fekete dobozban, ezért gondosan meghallgatjuk azokat a folyamatokat és ideológiai feltételezéseket, amelyek a számítástechnikai gépek létrehozását, programjaik kidolgozását és a társadalomba való beilleszkedést övezték. Ezenkívül megvizsgáljuk a feszültséget a kreatív szabadság, amely a számítógépekhez való széles körű hozzáférés és az őket összekötő hálózatok, valamint a rendelkezésre álló és felhasználható formát alkotó tartós vállalati és kormányzati ellenőrzés között. Végül számos korabeli kérdést és kihívást fogunk megvizsgálni, amelyeket a számítástechnika növekvő elterjedtsége hoz nyilvános és magánkörnyezetben.

Tanfolyam áttekintése

Kérjük, figyelmesen olvassa el az oldal összes oldalát. A tanfolyam sikere attól függ, hogy minden olvasmányt, írásbeli munkát és vetélkedőt időben befejez, és világos, eredeti munkát készít, amely tiszteletben tartja az MSU tudományos őszinteségére és integritására vonatkozó szabványait. A késői munkára nem lesz hosszabbítás. A plágium minden esetben azt eredményezi, hogy a hallgató F -t kap a kurzusért.


Mérnöki Főiskola

Főiskola aulája

Szentek nyugalma 1865

Az Építőmérnöki Osztályt 1909 -ben hozták létre, azonban kezdettől fogva nagyon is az iskola része volt. A Michigan állam Mezőgazdasági Főiskoláját az állami törvényhozás 1855 -ben hozta létre, és ugyanezen év júniusában 676,57 hektáros területet vásároltak. A következő 2 évben Főiskola aulája, [fotó a bal oldalon], Saints ’Rest Kollégium, [fotó közvetlenül lent], és egy tégla istálló épült, és a főiskola 1857. május 13 -án fogadta első hallgatóit.

Négy oktatót vettek fel, az egyik Calvin Tracy volt, aki matematikát és földmérést tanított. Felhatalmazást kapott egy földmérő iránytűjének és szintjének megvásárlására "a Mezőgazdasági Főiskolán végzett felméréshez és szintezéshez szükséges felszereléssel".

Kari sor 1874

A 63 diák délelőtt részt vett az órákon, és délután három órát dolgoztak, fákat vágtak, gyümölcsösöket ültettek, vagy téglát vittek, hogy otthonokat építsenek a Kar során, amelyek közül az egyik (és az egyetlen, amelyik nem bánt meg a bontástól) a Cowles House volt. professzorok és családjaik, valamint az egyetem első női hallgatói számára.

A vidéki és az építőmérnöki tudomány egyike volt azoknak a tanfolyamoknak, amelyeket a fix tantervű idősek végeztek. 1861 -ben T.C. Abbotot, aki később a főiskola második elnöke lett, a vidéki és építőmérnöki professzornak nevezték ki, bár korábbi és későbbi jelölése a történelem és az angol irodalom professzora volt. 1861 -ben a főiskola elvégezte első osztályát, de nem kezdte meg, mivel a polgárháború elkezdődött, és a hét végzős közül hatan besoroztak egy speciális mérnöki társaságba, amely John C. Frémont vezérőrnagy alatt szolgált.

Rolla C. Carpenter, 1877 Rolla C. Carpenter, 1885

Abbot elnök 1864 -es jelentésében azt javasolta, hogy építőmérnököt nevezzenek ki az Oktatási Karra, és 1875. Rolla C. Carpenter úr a főiskolát 1873 -ban végzett, aki szintén a Michigan Egyetem építőmérnöki diplomáját szerezte, oktatónak vették fel. Így megalakult a Matematika és Építőmérnöki Tanszék. Carpenter első osztálya az építőmérnöki munkában Wood Mahan -féle változatát használta Alapvető értekezés a mélyépítésről az anyagokról, az anyagok szilárdságáról, a keretről, a falazatról, az utakról, csatornákról, folyókról és hidakról szóló fejezetek tanulmányozása. A főiskolán töltött tizenöt éve alatt Carpenter professzor építőmérnöki és matematikai órákat tanított, miközben számos más módon szolgálta a főiskolát. Felmérte a területet, felügyelte a gőzmunkákat és az asztalosműhelyt, megtervezte és felügyelte a Vörös Cédrus folyó gátjának építését (saját cölöphajtó tervezését), megtervezte az új Mechanikai laboratóriumot, felügyelte 400 000 tégla gyártását, új fürdőház diákoknak (10 káddal - az alábbi kép jobbra), franciát tanított, és 1884 -ben a kissé lazán megszervezett főiskolai futballcsapat edzője volt.

Felmérő berendezés

Az 1862. évi földtámogatási törvény meghatározta a "tanulásnak a mezőgazdasággal és a gépművészettel kapcsolatos ágait". Így 1885 -ben elindult egy kétéves mechanikus képzés. Ez hamarosan kibővült egy 4 éves Gépész szakra, amelyből később Gépészmérnök lett. Ugyanebben az évben építették fel az első mérnöki épületet, a Gépi épületet.

1890 -ben Carpenter professzor elment a Cornell Egyetemre, majd egy év után Herman K. Vedder professzort, a Cornell Egyetem építőmérnöki diplomáját szerzett építőmérnöki diplomával, kinevezték matematika és építőmérnöki professzornak. Vedder továbbra is oktatta a matematika és az építőmérnöki kurzusokat, és szakértelmet nyújtott a főiskolának mérnöki munkájában.

1892 -ben a főiskolán megalapították a nemzet második Tau Beta Pi fejezetét.

Állatok a Farm Lane -en 1909

Az egyetemi élet ezekben a korai években nem volt mindig könnyű. East Lansing csak egy kis falu volt. Lansingba utazni szinte lehetetlen volt tavasszal és ősszel, amikor az utak iszaplápokká váltak, és a várost és a főiskolát később összekötő villamos még nem épült meg.

Az 1890 -es évekig a főiskola tavasszal, nyáron és ősszel tartott üléseket, hogy a diákok a vegetációs időszakban a főiskolán gyakorolhassák a mezőgazdaságot. Ezen túlmenően sokan közülük a vidéki iskolákban végzett téli tanítói állástól függtek költségeik miatt. Amikor az akadémiai naptárat téli órákra módosították, új problémákkal kellett szembenézni. Professor Vedder, in his 1897 report to the college president, wrote, "allow me to urge the early installation of sanitary conveniences at College Hall", the change in terms "requiring long class-work in winter months, make this necessary."

Since many of the engineering students planned for a Civil Engineering career, Professor Vedder, in 1901, expressed that "there is a demand for a course of study" allowing "specialization along Civil Engineering lines". On December 4, 1901, the governing board of the college approved the new option and seventeen members of the junior class elected civil engineering. "Topographical drawing and sketching, shadows and perspective, railroad surveying, bridge analysis and design, masonry, arches and pavements" were added to the department curriculum. On June 18, 1903, fourteen seniors became the first graduates from the Civil Engineering option.

Engineering Hall

During the early years of this new option, the faculty was overly busy. Prof. Vedder repeatedly protested about the crowded class and laboratory facilities. In 1907, a new Engineering Hall, costing $110,000, was constructed to house the departments of Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, and Civil Engineering, Drawing and Design, and Physics and Electrical Engineering. The same year, Engineering's first Dean, G.W. Bissell, was appointed, and in 1908, the Division of Engineering was established.

By 1908, of the 232 engineering students who graduated in the years after the Civil option was founded, 117 had completed the civil engineering option. Professor Vedder proposed that in order to best serve the students, civil engineering should be a separate department and on July 7, 1909, the Department of Civil Engineering was born.

Since that time, the transitions in the college and in Engineering have been many. In 1909, the State Agricultural College became the Michigan Agricultural College. Then in 1925, the name was changed to Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science. In 1955, its one-hundredth year, the College became a University and finally, in 1964, it was renamed Michigan State University.

Engineering Building fire, 1916

The first Engineering Hall burned in March of 1916 and was replaced by Olds Hall of Engineering, which housed most of the departments until 1962, when the present Engineering Building was completed. Civil Engineering became the Department of Civil and Sanitary Engineering in 1962 and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in 1985. The department was housed in the Engineering Building from 1962 through 1981, when it was moved to the Communication Arts and Science Building where it remained until 1989 when the new wing of the Engineering Building was opened. In 1987, the Engineering Research Complex was opened, housing the environmental engineering faculty, graduate students, and laboratories. In 2002, the department dedicated the Civil Infrastructure Laboratory, located on Jolly Road in Okemos. The laboratory was expanded in 2005 to include a fire testing facility.

The department has continued to grow and evolve. The first Master of Science degree was awarded on June 18, 1928 to Howard Allen. His thesis topic was "The Design of a Reinforced Concrete Laboratory for the Department of Civil Engineering. The CE program was first accredited in 1937 by the Engineers Council for Professional Development, which has become ABET. An undergraduate curriculum in sanitary engineering was also offered, but discontinued in 1954 as it was believed that the programs did not offer sufficient breath. Almost sixty years later, In 2011, the B.S. Environmental Engineering program was approved by the State Board of Education. The first environmental engineering student graduated in December 2011 and the program was accredited in August 2012. Graduate degrees in environmental engineering were first offered in 1980.

The civil and environmental engineering programs at MSU have always been student-focused, from 1900, when Professor Herman Klock Vedder expressed a need for a course of study "allowing for specialization along the Civil Engineering Lines" to today when student groups such as American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Student Chapter, Chi Epsilon, and Environmental Engineering Society flourish, undergraduate and graduate students work together with faculty and postdoctoral assistants to solve complex problems, and students are encouraged to actively participate in the classroom. The Student Chapter of the ASCE has been active at MSU since 1921. Chi Epsilon, the National CE Honor Society was installed as chapter 42 in 1951 and the Environmental Engineering (Student) Society was founded as a chapter of the Air and Waste Management Association in 1988. The MSU chapter of Chi Epsilon has twice hosted the Chi Epsilon National Conclave, in 1958 and in 1986.

MSU Student Chapters have distinguished themselves as being first in a number of arenas. The first ASCE sponsored National Concrete Canoe Competition was held in 1988 at MSU, with canoe races at Lake Lansing. The first National Student Steel Bridge competition was held at MSU in 1992, and the Spartans became the first national champions. MSU's concrete canoe team, the Rowing Stone, took first place in the National Concrete Canoe Competition in 1990 in Buffalo, NY. The Environmental Engineering (Student) Society took first place at the Waste-Management Education and Research Consortium International Competitions in 1994 and 1995. The EES team took first place at the Air and Waste Management Association sponsored Environmental Competition International (ECi) in 2015.

Not only on campus, but throughout the state and abroad, civil engineering has clearly left its mark. By far the greatest contribution of civil engineers along the banks of the Red Cedar has been in the education of thousands of men and women, who have obtained Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees, and have become involved throughout the world in the creation of engineering projects, the improvement of civil infrastructure and society, and in the education of our future generations of engineers and scientists.


College of Human Medicine

50th Anniversary Video - MSU College of Human Medicine: 1964 - 2014 VIDEÓ
"Formula for MSU Medical School" historical film featuring Dean Andrew D. Hunt, Jr., 1966 VIDEO        

Since 1966, the College of Human Medicine has educated physicians and claims a national reputation for its social mission - producing MDs to practice medicine in Michigan's underserved areas. Today the college is recognized nationally for its excellence in and commitment to patient-centered medicine.

From 1959󈞩, several reports demonstrated the need for a third medical school in Michigan focused specifically on serving the state's population through direct involvement in community health care. In 1961, the Michigan State Board of Trustees decided to begin a two-year medical program that it would strengthen and be strengthened by complementary areas of the university. The preparatory work was carried by the Institute of Medicine and Biology in the provost's office, under the direction of Bill Knisley, who played a key role in the formation of the College of Human Medicine and the building of MSU's Life Sciences Building. Several grants aided the development of the program and in 1964 the Board of Trustees named Andrew D. Hunt, MD, dean of the College of Human Medicine.

In June 1965, the Liaison Committee for Medical Education, the American Medical Association's accreditation arm, granted a letter of "reasonable assurance" to the College of Human Medicine, permitting MSU to admit its first medical students󈟪 in the fall of 1966 and 23 in the fall of 1967. After two years of preclinical training, these students transferred to other medical schools to complete their medical degree requirements. In 1967, the College of Human Medicine received approval to develop a four-year, degree-granting program. The first MDs graduated in 1972.

Since the MSU College of Human Medicine was created within a state-funded institution to serve Michigan's people, it was considered important and appropriate for students to obtain their clinical training in the state's communities. A formal philosophy of placing clinical training within community hospitals emerged. To implement this philosophy, the college formed a consortium of teaching hospitals in several Michigan communities, each with an assistant dean and a staff of faculty coordinators for major medical specialties.

In conjunction with its founding mission to serve all the people of Michigan, a special program to address the health care needs of rural citizens began in the Upper Peninsula in 1974. Students entering the College of Human Medicine who planned to serve a rural community upon completion of their medical training could apply to complete their clinical years in the Upper Peninsula.

Clinical campuses in Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Midland Regional, Southeast Michigan, Traverse City, and the Upper Peninsula Region now cooperate with MSU in the training of medical students during their undergraduate clinical years. Nearly 4,000 physicians in these Michigan communities hold clinical faculty appointments and volunteer their expertise to educate MSU College of Human Medicine undergraduate medical students. The college also operates several residency programs in these community hospitals. These programs have proven to be one of the most successful implementations of the college’s commitment to serving the people. The Rural Medicine Program at the Upper Peninsula region campus and the Rural Community Health Program in the Traverse City and Midland Regional campuses has led to an increase in physicians practicing in underserved areas.

Since its creation, the college's curriculum has continued to evolve and the college has become nationally and internationally known as a leader in university-based, community-integrated medical education. The college is again embarking on an innovative curriculum slated to begin fall 2016. In addition to excelling in medical education, the college excels in research. College faculty members are well represented among the university's top research grant recipients. Furthermore, an MD/PhD program invites promising scholars to combine basic science research with clinical physician training.

In 2006, Marsha D. Rappley, M.D., became the first graduate of the College of Human Medicine to become dean of the medical school. At that time, the university had begun plans to expand the medical school to help Michigan train, attract and retain enough physicians to meet future needs of its citizens.

In August 2007, the college increased its enrollment from 106 first-year students to 156 students, and, in October, MSU announced a building project budget of $90 million for the construction of a new medical education building along the health sciences corridor in downtown Grand Rapids. A ground-breaking event was held in mid 2008, with construction completion planned for the Secchia Center in 2010.

Spectrum Health committed $55 million that included principal and interest payments on the building for 25 years. Private donations were raised through a joint fundraising initiative by MSU and Grand Action. This included first naming gifts of $20 million donated by area business leaders, including alumni Ambassador Peter F. and Joan Secchia, for whom the Secchia Center is named. The $90 million Secchia Center opened fall 2010, on time, on budget and privately funded.

In June 2015, MSU announced plans to build the Grand Rapids Research Center near the Secchia Center in downtown Grand Rapids. The $88 million research center will late fall 2017 and will eventually house as many as 44 principal investigators and their research teams in future years.

Also in 2015, Dean Marsha Rappley stepped down and Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Aron Sousa, M.D., became interim dean. On October 1, 2016, the College of Human Medicine welcomed its new dean, Norman Beauchamp, Jr., MD, the second graduate of the college to serve as dean. On October 25, 2019, Beauchamp was promoted to executive vice president for health sciences. The Board of Trustees again named Sousa interim dean.               

The MSU College of Human Medicine is fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. With  5,699 graduates, College of Human Medicine alumni now practice in nearly every county in Michigan, in nearly every state in the nation, and in several foreign countries. As it continues to train physicians of the highest quality, the College of Human Medicine looks forward to the medical opportunities of the next millennium.


It all began in 1999.

The Department of Geography, Environment, and Spatial Sciences at Michigan State University has offered online geography courses since 1999, when Alan Arbogast and a small team of grad students created Geo 206v (Physical Geography).

Course Development

Below is a timeline of course development.

Geo 206v, Physical Geography: developed by Alan Arbogast, Ph.D., Kathleen Baker, Ph.D., and Cathryn Dowd, M.A. launched in Summer 1999

ISS 310v, People and the Environment: developed by Alan Arbogast, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2002

Geo 204v, World Regional Geography: developed by Antoinette WinklerPrins, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2003

Geo 330v, Geography of the United States and Canada: developed by Jay Harman, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2005

Geo 324v, Remote Sensing of the Environment (and online Lab): developed by David Lusch, Ph.D., and Bob Goodwin, M.A. launched in Spring 2008

Geo 221v, Introduction to Geographic Information (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Summer 2009

Geo 802v, Geospatial Technology (and online Lab): developed by RS&GIS @MSU launched in Fall 2009

Geo 203v, Introduction to Meteorology: developed by Sharon Zhong, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2011

Geo 325v, Geographic Information Systems (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Spring 2012

Geo 326v (formerly 423v), Cartographic Design and Production (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Fall 2012

Geo 221LABv, Introduction to Geographic Information (Lab): developed by Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Fall 2013

Geo 151v, Human Geography: developed by Dick Groop, Ph.D., Gary Schnakenberg, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Summer 2014

Geo 113v, Economic Geography: developed by Elizabeth Mack, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2020

Enrollments

As of Spring 2020 more than 28,220 students have taken onGEO courses.

Elismerés

Online Geography @ MSU has received outside recognition in various forms. The table below outlines the awards, talks, and publications that have brought attention to the quality of the courses offered and the program.

Presentations

Bookout, Shi, Gunn, Weisenborn. 2018. Facebook and the Online Classroom: Contemplating the value of a semester's posts, likes, reactions, and replies. Presentation for AAG.

Goldsberry, Bookout, Weisenborn, Arbogast. 2015. Digital Storytelling in Online Geography Classes: Sharing MSU Geography's Experiences. Presentation for AAG.

Schnakenberg, Bookout, Goldsberry, Weisenborn. 2013. Reaching into Geography's Toolbox: Using Web-based Tools to Teach the Geographic Perspective. 2013 Michigan/Great Lakes Social Studies Conference, Lansing, Michigan.

Bookout. 2012. So you want to join the Facebooks?: Lessons from Online Geography's attempt to relate to students using social media. Geography Colloquium at Michigan State.

Goldsberry, Bookout, Weisenborn. 2012. Teaching Volunteered Geographic Information in an Online Environment. Presentation for AAG.

Bookout, Goldsberry, Weisenborn, Arbogast. 2012. Opening Student Eyes to the Geographic Perspective. Presentation for AAG.

Goldsberry, Bookout. 2010. Designing and Managing Large Enrollment Online Courses. MSU vuDAT Breakfast Series.

Olson, WinklerPrins, Weisenborn. 2009. Assessment in Selected Courses at Michigan State University. Presentation at NCGE.

Kristy Stanley, Weisenborn, Robert Goodwin, Lusch, Groop. 2008. Creating an Online Geography Course in Remote Sensing at Michigan State University. Poster at AAG Conference.

Weisenborn, Groop. 2007. Insights on Developing Online Geography Courses. Presentation at Central Michigan University.

WinklerPrins, Weisenborn. 2006. Insights on Designing and Managing Large Online Courses. MSU TechTalk.

Weisenborn, Groop, WinklerPrins, Arbogast, Harman. 2006. Assessing Online Geography Courses at Michigan State University. Presentation at AAG Conference.

Arbogast, WinklerPrins, Weisenborn, Groop, Harman. 2006. The Online Geography Program at Michigan State University. MSU TechTalk.

Weisenborn, WinklerPrins, Groop, Arbogast. 2004. Designing a Virtual Geography Program. Poster at AAG Conference.

Publications

WinklerPrins, Weisenborn, Groop, Arbogast. 2007. Developing Online Geography Courses: Experiences from Michigan State. Journal of Geography.

Díjak

AT&T Faculty-Staff Awards in Instructional Technology. 2010. Introduction to Geographic Information (Geo 221v). Adrienne Goldsberry, Kirk Goldsberry.

AT&T Faculty-Staff Awards in Instructional Technology. 2005. World Regional Geography (Geo 204v). WinklerPrins, Weisenborn.

Staff, Faculty, Instructors

Személyzet

Beth Weisenborn, began in 2001: Instructor, Course Coordinator, and Director.

Juliegh Bookout, began in 2003: Instructor, Course Developer & Coordinator.


Történelem

In 1964, osteopathic physicians, working in cooperation with the Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons, were successful in obtaining a charter to establish an osteopathic medical college in Michigan. The original Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine was located in Pontiac and admitted its first students in 1969.

That same year, the state legislature enacted Public Act 162, which specified that &ldquoA school of osteopathic medicine is established and shall be located as determined by the state board of education at an existing campus of a state university with an existing school or college of medicine."

To comply with this legislation, the college charter was transferred to the Board of Trustees of Michigan State University and the college was relocated to Fee Hall on the East Lansing campus in 1971. At that time, it became known as the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Since 2009, the college has operated under a model of &ldquoOne College, Three Sites." These sites include East Lansing, as well as locations in southeast Michigan: the Detroit Medical Center in Detroit and the Macomb University Center in Clinton Township, which are home to roughly one-third of each enrolled class.

The College of Osteopathic Medicine has a long-established network of community teaching hospitals throughout Michigan. Known as the Statewide Campus System, or SCS, this network was the original model for the osteopathic postdoctoral training institution, or OPTI. SCS has been accredited by the American Osteopathic Association as an OPTI and currently holds institutional accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, or ACGME. In partnership with the college, SCS residency programs lead the nation in achieving accreditation under ACGME.

Today, more than 300 osteopathic students graduate each year as part of our mandate to produce primary care physicians for the state. The college also receives more research funding from the National Institutes of Health than any other osteopathic college in the nation.


Michigan State University - History

MSU athletes compete and perform in a number of athletic facilities, past and present, from the Armory and Jenison Fieldhouse to College Field and Spartan Stadium.

The Armory, completed in 1886, was originally the only sports facility for indoor team competitions, in addition to gymnastics, boxing, wrestling and other sports, plus other non-sports activities, such as drill hall and ballroom. In 1930 Demonstration Hall was inaugurated, only to be replaced by Jenison Field house, built in 1939, with a seating capacity of 10,000. For five decades Jenison was the arena for basketball and other indoor sports. In the mid 1980s plans were underway to build a completely new sports arena for more than 30 million dollars. The new facility was expected to accommodate more than 15,000 spectators. Named after the university vice president, Jack Breslin, who had been a baseball, football and basketball star for MSU in the 1940s, the arena opened in the fall of 1989 at the cost of 43 million dollars. In 2000 right after the MSU Spartans basketball team won the National Championship, the university announced a $5.9 million addition to the Breslin Center.

On Saturday October 11, 1924 Michigan Agriculture College Stadium or "College Field" was dedicated, in a game where the Aggies faced the University of Michigan Wolverines. The state governor, the presidents of M.A.C. and U. of M. delivered inaugural speeches for the occasion. The stadium replaced the Old College Field and could accommodate 14,000 spectators. The original building has been practically rebuilt in three different occasions. In the first time -in 1935- its name was changed to Macklin Field, with renovations that increased fan capacity to 26,000. Thirteen years later, in 1948, the second rebuilding would take place, and the facility's name was changed to Macklin Stadium, with accommodation for 51,000 people. In 1956 the stadium underwent yet another significant transformation and became Spartan Stadium with capacity for 76,000 spectators.

The most recent expansion and renovations of Spartan Stadium were completed in 2005, including a new press box, luxury suites and new club seats. Besides the classic 1966 "Game of the Century" between Spartans and Fighting Irish, the stadium has witnessed many epic battles between Spartans and Big Ten rivals, and other national opponents. The stadium has consolidated a well earned reputation as one of the loudest football fields in the country. In 2001 Spartan Stadium hosted the "Cold War", a hockey match between Michigan and Michigan State, which ended in another tie, setting an attendance world record for ice hockey games (74,754).

Baseball

Baseball was the first organized sport in the Michigan Agriculture College athletic history. Organized for and by the students, baseball teams competed in nearby communities in the 1860s. The first match recorded between M.A.C. and the University of Michigan goes back to 1868. In the 1880s students participated in "field days" where different athletic competitions took place against Olivet and Albion colleges. In 1886 the M.A.C. baseball club was officially created and in 1888 the Michigan Inter-Collegiate Athletic Association was created by students from Albion, Hillsdale, Olivet and M.A.C.

Basketball

The first intercollegiate basketball game took place in 1899, only few years after Dr. James A. Naismith invented the game as an indoor winter activity in Springfield, Massachusetts. In the 1930s basketball became a very popular sport among the student population, with the inauguration of Demonstration Hall as the university indoor basketball arena on January 22, 1930. In 1940 Jenison Field House became the new center for Spartan basketball. In 1957 the Spartans conquered the Big Ten title and made it to the NCAA final four for the first time, and lost to North Carolina in the immortalized triple over time game. Led by Earvin "Magic" Johnson, a Lansing native, the Spartans captured the first NCAA national championship in Men's Basketball in 1979 in a historic match against Larry Bird's Indiana State.

Prominent players include a long list led by Julius McCoy, Johnny Green, Lyman Frimodig, Chester Aubuchon, Magic Johnson, and more recently, Mateen Cleaves, Drew Neitzel. The 1990s witnessed a golden era in Spartan basketball under Coach Tom Izzo, who led the team to an NCAA national championship in 2000.

Boxing

Boxing experienced a brief life as a college sport between 1888 and 1892 and was included in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA), which was formed in 1888. After 1892 boxing disappeared as a competitive intercollegiate sport. In 1938 boxing reacquired varsity status inaugurating a new era in which Spartan athletes would excel. Under Coach George Makris Spartan athletes dominated opponents at regional and national competitions, achieving two NCAA national team championships (1951 and 1955) and nine individual NCAA titles. Special mention deserve Spartan fighters Chuck Davey, the only boxer in college history with four NCAA titles and John Horne, an African American athlete who won three consecutive NCAA titles between 1958 and 1960. The boxing program was terminated in 1958 amidst criticism for the sport and its role as intercollegiate athletic activity. The majority of Big Ten universities also terminated their boxing teams.

Coaches

In the 1890s as the college authorities initiated a move to place athletics under their supervision the appointment of coaches ceased to be a student prerogative. In 1899 the department of Physical Culture was established and Rev. Charles O. Bemies was hired to coach sports, mostly football and baseball, and lead spiritual services at the college chapel. The next coach, Chester L. Brewer, was hired as professor of physical culture in 1903. A former coach in Albion College, Brewer directed M.A.C. sports until 1910, when he left for the University of Missouri. John F. Macklin, a former University of Pennsylvania football player, became the new athletic director and football coach, and led the football team to its first victories against the University of Michigan (1913 and 1915) and its first undefeated season (1913).

Clarence "Biggie" Munn was hired in 1947 as football head coach. Munn led the football team to NCAA consecutive national titles and national recognition.

Hugh "Duffy" Daugherty started his coaching career as the assistant coach to "Biggie" Munn. In 1954 became the head football coach of MSU after Munn became the Athletic Director. Daugherty coached for 19 seasons with a winning record of 109-69-5. He retired after the 19th season in 1972, obtaining consecutive national championships in 1965 and 1966.

Futball

The first football team was organized by students in 1896. In 1913 the M.A.C. Aggies completed a perfect season. After WWII the Spartan football program entered and dominated the Big Ten Conference and achieved national prominence under coaches Clarence "Biggie" Munn and Hugh "Duffy" Daugherty. Both Munn and Daugherty conquered four NCAA national titles with their respective squadrons in 1951, 1952, 1965 and 1966. Daugherty's team also participated in the "Game of the Century" in 1966 against Notre Dame University Fighting Irish. Both teams arrived undefeated and the final score was a 10-10 tie.

Championships

Spartans have brought to East Lansing 25 national team championships and Michigan State University is the only school with multiple NCAA titles in Football, Ice Hockey and Basketball. MSU teams will soon pass the 100th mark for Big Ten titles, even though Men started competing in 1951 and Women in 1971. Individually, Spartan athletes have obtained NCAA national titles in more than 100 occasions and more than 500 first places in Big Ten competitions. Some of the team national titles include: Basketball (1979, 2000), Boxing (1951, 1955), Cross Country (1939, 1948, 1949, 1952, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959), Football (1951, 1952, 1965, 1966), Gymnastics (1958), Hockey (1966, 1986, 2007), Soccer (1967, 1968), Wrestling (1967).

Green Splash

The Green Splash is a women's honorary swimming club of Michigan State University. Officially created in 1927, the Green Splash developed as a result of the activities of the Women's Life Saving Corps, established in the spring of 1922 by the American Red Cross. The name Green Splash reflected a new focus on promoting interest in all water activities among female students. The requirements for a female student to join the group were: to be a sophomore, junior, or senior to maintain a minimum of a "C" grade point average and to pass designated swimming requirements. The club soon ventured into the production of "water pageant shows" carefully staged with elaborately planned costumes and scenery centered on a single theme. Female athletes would showcase their abilities as soloists, in duets or large groups of synchronized swimmers. Men and women from the diving teams would also participate in the water shows.

Futball

Soccer became a varsity team at MSU in 1956, conquering the first Big Ten title in 1959 led by Coach Gene Kenney. Kenney coached the team from 1956 to 1970 winning the NCAA national championship in consecutive seasons (1967 and 1968). With one of the most impressive winning records for any college sport, Kenney took the Spartans to eight consecutive appearances in NCAA tournaments. In 1970 support for the soccer program was significantly reduced and the Spartan dynasty came to an end. Recently Spartan soccer has experienced a renaissance, winning the Big Ten title in 2004.

Swimming

Swimming had rather humble origins in the M.A.C. Competitions can be originally traced back to the building of pool facilities in 1902, called the "Bath House." The actual pool was small by today's standards, with only seventeen by thirty-five feet, but contained showers, locker rooms, among other amenities.

Swimming intercollegiate competitions started in 1922 for the M.A.C. Aggies. The next year they obtained their first team victory against the Grand Rapids Y.M.C.A.

In 1941 Jenison Pool hosted the NCAA championship. Spartan swimmers conquered their first NAAU championship in 1945 and their first Big Ten title in 1957 guided by legendary Coach Charles McCaffree Jr. (1942-1969). In 1957 IM West Pool was built to replace the old Jenison pool, and became one of the best Olympic pools in the country. This world class natatorium was equipped with modern technology and accommodated over 2,000 people, with side stands that created a stadium-like atmosphere. In 1959 Spartans won the AAU National summer championship. The natatorium hosted the Pan American Games in 1959 and would eventually be renamed in honor of Coach McCaffree. For women swimming did not become a varsity sport until 1970. The first women's swimming team dominated the Big Ten conference with championships in 1973, 1974 and 1975. Since IM West was used for men's recreational use only, female swimmers had to practice at the IM Circle until 1978.

Tenisz

Tennis was a popular feature in the original intercollegiate meetings that brought together Olivet, Albion and M.A.C. in the 1880s classic "field days". It was also a sport that included both men and women in the competitions. Clay and lawn courts existed on temporary basis in different campus locations until the 1930s, when fifteen courts were built. These courts were destroyed to accommodate the Men's Intramural Building, constructed in 1957. Forty new tennis courts were created south of Spartan Stadium. A chemistry professor named Charles D.Ball became the first tennis coach in 1921 and guided the players until 1946. Tennis enjoys the distinction of being the first sport in which Spartans won a Big Ten championship in 1951.

Track & Field

Track events constituted the backbone of athletic events at the origins of both intramural and intercollegiate competitions in the 1880s. M.A.C. athletes completely dominated in the track events organized by the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association winning 15 titles in 20 seasons (1888-1907). Leander Burnett, a Native American athlete, won three all-around championships and 37 events in the first era of M.A.C. track & field events. With the inauguration of the Men's Gymnasium in 1920 the college could host the M.A.C. Track Carnival in 1921, which later became the Michigan State Relays. The track program reached national prominence under the guidance of Ralph H. Young (1923-1940), coach and later athletic director. Young was pivotal in the creation of the Central Collegiate Conference, with Notre Dame and Marquette, in 1926. In the 1940s Jenison Field House housed the indoor track events. Spartan athletes obtained the Big Ten titles for indoor in 1966 and outdoor in 1965 and 1966.

Hockey

The first record of an ice hockey game is from January 11, 1922, when a M.A.C. team traveled to Ann Arbor to play the University of Michigan. The following week the Aggies hosted Notre Dame University on the Red Cedar's frozen waters. In 1924 a rink was established in the Old College Field, abandoned by the football squad for the new stadium.

In 1926 the Spartans were admitted in the Western League but in 1931 the program was cancelled indefinitely. The ice hockey program took a long hiatus from 1931 until 1948 when indoor facilities where available in Demonstration Hall. There are many reasons that this occurred, including the lack of facilities, institutional indifference towards the sport and the dependence on the unreliable Michigan weather. The hockey team would return in the late 1940s and would continue until present day, conquering three NCAA National Championships in the process in 1966, 1986 and 2007. Michigan State coaches are in the lead for all time wins in the NCAA as well, with former coach Ron Mason in first and current coach Rick Comley in second. The program has come from the early days skating on the Red Cedar River to a national powerhouse in the sport of ice hockey.

Women Before 1945

Despite being admitted since 1870 to M.A.C. women athletes did not receive the same type of support as their male counterparts in sports activities. In 1888 women formed their first regular sports teams but only until 1896 they were allowed to compete in field day meetings. Women's basketball formally started in 1898. In 1919 the Department of Physical Education for Women was created, led by Helen D. Grimes. Female students were required to participate in physical activities including calisthenics and non-contact sports. In 1922 the Women Life Saving Corps was formed, to later become the Green Splash in 1927, and in 1924 the creation of the Women's Athletic Association opened new venues for athletic competitions. By 1926 the association had more than 100 members and featured 18 different sports in 1928 a major in Physical Education for Women was approved. Soccer, skating, hiking, volleyball, tennis, and rifle were among the favorite sports. Intercollegiate competition for female athletes was prohibited.

Title IX Era

In 1962 Carol Herding became head of the Women's Physical Education department, and launched a campaign to increase attendance in the women's gymnasium. By the end of the decade the number of regular visitors had skyrocketed. In 1972 Title IX legislation was approved prohibiting the exclusion of individuals from full participation in educational programs on the basis of sex or gender. Despite this new legislation, a disparaging unequal funding for female and male athletes was still the rule. In the 1977-78 season funds allocated for men amounted to $776,000 while women only received less than $85,000.

In 1978 a formal complaint was filed on behalf of MSU women's basketball team before the Office of Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare. This lawsuit precipitated a significant transformation in the support for female athletes at Michigan State University.


Nézd meg a videót: Egyetemi beiskolázás: Gyermeknevelési és Gyógypedagógiai Kar (Június 2022).